Human resource is the most valuable asset for any company. Therefore, it is absolutely essential for companies to ensure that their employees are being properly taken care of. Talking of employee wellbeing doesn’t only imply the financial aspect. As a matter of fact, it goes much beyond that. It is about their physical well being, mental well being and of course, the financial aspect plays an important role as well.
There are employers who fail to understand the importance of employee wellness measures. Sadly, they feel that it’s wastage of time and resources to incorporate employee wellness programs in their schedule. On the other hand, there are organizations who understand that in order to get the best out of their employees, it is essential to make sure that they are in the best of shapes. That’s why they have incorporated different types of employee welfare programs.
Why Employee Welfare is Important?
As mentioned, human resource is the most valuable asset for any organization. Therefore, in order to make sure that the employee output is at the optimum level, it is important for the companies to take care of their wellness.
Here are a few reasons as to why employee welfare is important
- It is very important to take care of the health of the employees and healthy employees are the most productive ones
- Employees who are in the best shape in terms of their physique and well as the mind will result in less absenteeism and the rate of attrition would be much less
- Employee wellness programs instill a sense of confidence among the staffs and give them the impression that the company is there to look after them. They are not being treated merely as money making machines
- A wellness program would help to create a good work environment which in turn will help the company
Apart from these, there are various reasons as to why welfare programs for the employees are important. They take care of the overall wellbeing of the human resource which in turn ensures that the productivity of the employees reaches the optimum level
What is meant by Wellness?
As mentioned, it is not only financial stability that defines the wellness of employees. It is much more than that. Here are some of the areas which a good employee wellness program takes care of
- Physical Wellbeing: This is one of the most important aspects that need to be taken into consideration. Physically sound employees are more productive. Therefore it is essential for the companies to introduce different types of health care programs that would take care of the health of their employees
- Mental Wellbeing: These days, employees are under tremendous and constant pressure. This can lead to anxiety, depression and other kinds of mental issues, which in turn can affect their performance. Therefore, the companies need to make sure that the mental wellbeing of their employees are being taken care of
- Financial Wellbeing: Underpaid employees can never reach the peak of their performance. Besides, they also contribute immensely to the rate of attrition. Therefore, the companies need to make sure that the financial wellbeing of their employees are being taken care of
Apart from these, there are various other aspects which the companies need to take care of; social wellbeing for an example. Companies must encourage healthy interaction among the employees which would create a good competitive environment.
Workplace Wellness Initiatives
Here are a couple of tips which can be implemented in the workplace to ensure overall employee wellness
- Gym: In order to make sure that the employees are in the best of shapes, it is very important to encourage them to work out on a regular basis. A gymnasium with some of the basic workout equipment can go a long way in ensuring the physical fitness of the employees. It has been proven that if given access to the gym, employees tend to enhance their fitness level which helps to improve their performance and output.
Apart from the gym, regular Yoga sessions can also help a great deal. Yoga not only takes care of the physical wellbeing but at the same time, it also relaxes the mind, helps to come out of anxiety and reduce depression. One major benefit of Yoga is the fact that it helps to improve the level of concentration by a great extent
- Diet: The employees should be encouraged to resort to healthy diets. The canteens and cafeterias should make sure that no junk food is being served. A healthy diet is one of the key factors that contribute to a healthy body and a healthy mind
- Socialization: Companies should encourage employees to socialize. There should be regular events and functions which would initiate communication among employees. Besides, the management also needs to make sure that the employees are in good terms with each other at the workplace. This helps to reduce workplace tension by a great extent and improves the performance of the employees
- Health Checkup: Companies should arrange for health checkups for their employees at least once a year. This would help them to assess the physical conditions of its employees and necessary steps can be taken to address the issues. Regular health checkups are very important as they help to ascertain the physical condition of the employees.
- Financial Plans: There should be different types of plans available to the employees that would help them financially. Financial security is one of the major aspects that contribute towards employee wellness at the workplace
These are some of the major initiatives which the companies need to take in order to ensure that their employees are in the best of shapes. There are many organizations around the world that have realized the importance of employee wellness programs and has taken necessary measures. It needs to be kept in mind that in order to get the best out of the employees, there are no other options but to make sure that they are in the best of shapes